Sunday, August 3, 2008

An Afternoon in NYC

I went off to meet my friend Ersela at the David Byrne "Playing the Room" installation by Wall St. I managed to take 1 1/2 hours to go from West New York to Wall St, and she had to leave before I got there. Something made me think that taking the ferry and a bus would be faster and easier than driving in. It wasn't, and it was more expensive too. On the way, I got a call from my bank because someone had stolen my credit card info and went on a shopping spree at a Walmart in Jacksonville, FL. I've never been to Jacksonville and the only time I stepped foot in a Walmart was on a spring break road trip. If you went to the trouble of stealing credit cards, wouldn't you be more ambitious than Walmart?


Went to the American Indian museum downtown, which I didn't even know existed, but admission was free and it was hot out. I highly recommend it. There was an exhibit called "remix" where they showed contemporary Indian artwork, and an artifact exhibit of two tribes on the coast of British Columbia. They used "box drums" big painted wooden drums, and the women cut their lips and put discs in them the same way that some African tribes do. You know that National Geographic stuff. I thought it was cool to see people on different sides of the earth doing the same things. Maybe it will catch on here some day.


Walking uptown, I ran into Chris and Ade, friends from NJIT, we sat in a park, ate cherries, and talked about how architecture sucks.

No comments: